Osaka Salad Dressing

I had Michelle over for lunch the other day.  I made my favorite lentil soup and an Osaka spinach salad with toasted almonds.  It is extra fun to cook for Michelle and Matt.  I find myself putting more thought into what I make.  They're both such good cooks and so when they compliment me it makes me especially pleased.  We dined alfresco since it was such a lovely Spring day.
The Osaka dressing on the salad is creamy and savory--packed with flavor.  I just love it.  It is a slightly modified version of our longstanding favorite stir-fry sauce.  Just a couple simple tweaks and it was perfect for a salad, too.
Osaka Salad Dressing
1/8 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tablespoons ginger root, peeled and grated*
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 C sesame seed (toasted or not)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup white vinegar
pinch of white pepper
tiny splash of sesame oil (optional)

Using a blender combine all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.  It will separate in the fridge so shake before using.  Make about two cups.

*If you have a Vitamix or other high-powered blender don't bother peeling and grating the fresh ginger.  Toss in a hefty knob and let the machine do the work.
I still can't quite believe how much I enjoy salads.  It makes me all the more excited for summer when there will be fresh lettuce in the garden and we can avoid cooking on a long, hot day.  Not that I need much in the way of additional enticement for my summer excitement, of course.  

Comments

  1. ...definitely making this...Scout loves Asian dressings like this one...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing...if I do say so myself! I hope Scout enjoys it, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts