Monday, January 23, 2017

Sewing for the Cats: A New Vintage Collar

I made Ginger a collar.

For some time I'd been thinking I should branch out in my sewing from the dress-making obsession.  So, I drafted a little list of non-dress projects to make.  One of them was sewing a cool collar for my Ginger kitty.
Using a store-bought collar as the inspiration I whipped one up in no time.  Ginger has been testing it out for me over the past couple weeks.  She approves and so I intend to make a few more.
In my Crazy Cat Lady mind I am having visions of a different collar for each month, seasonally themed.  How cool would it be to have a bright green one for St. Patty's Day or with tiny bats for Halloween?!  I think it sounds swell.  Of course, I don't think there is any reason to deny that I really AM a crazy cat lady.
I call the collar "new vintage," which I realize is a contradiction in terms, because the loops, clasp, etc. are new.  The fabric is quite vintage though.  I've had it for a long time, but it was such a small piece I never really knew what to do with it.  I used part of it in an insulated casserole carrier (another non-dress sewing project) and had just enough leftover for a collar, too.  So, the collar is part new, part old.  I like that.
I'll be making more just as soon as I get some more clasps, bells, and other assorted bits of collar hardware.

And lest I be accused of favoritism:  Johnny doesn't tolerate collars well so she's out of luck.  She does get to wear a kicky little tie-dye bandana though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!