Serenity


As far back as I can remember I've always thought that the Serenity Prayer was possibly the best Christian prayer I knew.  My mom had a little plaque of it in the bathroom that I saw every day when I was growing up.  That plaque now lives with me at my house which I quite like. 

As it turns out, I've learned that there are a couple extended versions of the prayer that I had never heard as a youth.  I think I like it even better now.
 God, grant us the...Serenity to accept things we cannot change, Courage to change the things we can, and the Wisdom to know the difference.  Patience for the things that take time, Appreciation for all that we have, and Tolerance for those with different struggles.    Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other, and the  Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless. 
  
That is good stuff, no matter your religious affiliation, in my humble opinion.

Comments

  1. There certaily is a dearth of tolerance. Isn't that the official prayer of Alcoholics Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that, but you are right. It is the AA prayer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts