Nutty Butternut Stir-Fry

This is a fantastic little dish that is a blend of stir-fry and curry.  Since I thoroughly enjoy both stir-fry and curry it is a match made in heaven, if you ask me.  The spices are not what I'd usually use to flavor a stir-fry and butternut squash is certainly not one of my go-to stir-fry vegetables.  I got the idea for a butternut stir-fry from a vegetarian cookbook that I received at Christmas, but took my own liberties with it as far as the sauce goes.  I am quite pleased with the results.  This was our last butternut in storage from last year.
 Nutty Butternut Stir-Fry

1 C raw cashews (or other nut)
1 small onion (or leeks or shallots as available)
2 t ground cumin
2 t brown mustard seeds
1 t garam marsala
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C orange juice
1 t brown sugar
1/2-1 t salt
butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
oil, for cooking

Heat oil in pan over high heat. 
Stir-fry the nuts until they are golden and browning.
Remove from pan and set aside on a piece of paper to drain excess oil.
Add more oil to the pan if needed.
Stir-fry the spices and garlic until they are fragrant and the mustard seeds start to pop, probably 2-5 minutes.
Add the cubed squash and stir-fry until tender and browning.
Add onion and stir-fry another couple minutes.
Add juice, sugar, and half the nuts.  
Let simmer and cook for about five minutes.
Serve over rice or noodles topped with remaining nuts.

Comments

Popular Posts