Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nutty Butternut Stir-Fry

This is a fantastic little dish that is a blend of stir-fry and curry.  Since I thoroughly enjoy both stir-fry and curry it is a match made in heaven, if you ask me.  The spices are not what I'd usually use to flavor a stir-fry and butternut squash is certainly not one of my go-to stir-fry vegetables.  I got the idea for a butternut stir-fry from a vegetarian cookbook that I received at Christmas, but took my own liberties with it as far as the sauce goes.  I am quite pleased with the results.  This was our last butternut in storage from last year.
 Nutty Butternut Stir-Fry

1 C raw cashews (or other nut)
1 small onion (or leeks or shallots as available)
2 t ground cumin
2 t brown mustard seeds
1 t garam marsala
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C orange juice
1 t brown sugar
1/2-1 t salt
butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
oil, for cooking

Heat oil in pan over high heat. 
Stir-fry the nuts until they are golden and browning.
Remove from pan and set aside on a piece of paper to drain excess oil.
Add more oil to the pan if needed.
Stir-fry the spices and garlic until they are fragrant and the mustard seeds start to pop, probably 2-5 minutes.
Add the cubed squash and stir-fry until tender and browning.
Add onion and stir-fry another couple minutes.
Add juice, sugar, and half the nuts.  
Let simmer and cook for about five minutes.
Serve over rice or noodles topped with remaining nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!