These Are a Few Of My Favorite Things:

  • Owls
  • Birds, in general
  • Gardening
  • Vegan cooking/baking
  • Vegan/vegetarianism, in general
  • Indian Food
  • Bicycling
  • Libraries/Librarians
  • Reading
  • Vintage books
  • Audiobooks
  • Books, in general
  • Cats
  • The Simpsons
  • Mushroom motifs
  • Sour candy
  • Candy, in general
  • Paisley
  • Argyle
  • Scrabble
  • Risk (the board game)
  • Catan (the board game)
  • Board games, in general
  • Knee-socks
  • Geodes
  • Tea
  • Camping
  • National Parks
  • Nature, in general
  • Travel/vacation
  • Tie-dye
  • Hippies
  • The '60s
  • Lava lamps
  • Kites
  • Recycling
  • Essential Oils
  • Scarves
  • The Sims 2 (the computer game)
  • Re-useable bags
  • The Grateful Dead 
  • Going to concerts/live music
  • Dancing
  • Dresses with pockets
  • The Amish
  • Diet Pepsi
  • Beer
  • Sewing
  • Swimming
  • Jigsaw puzzles
  • Adult coloring books
  • Postcards
  • Harry Potter
  • "Eco-friendly" products or tips
  • Animals, in general
  • Canning
A while back my mom and I were talking about how easy it is to get bombarded by various renditions of something if it is common knowledge that you like said thing.  Suddenly you get several on every Christmas/ Birthday/ Souvenir/ Random-gift-giving-occasion.   For my mom it was predominately Red, White, and Blue themed items since she's got a known appreciation for our patriotic colors.  (She even got married on Independence Day!)
I could quite readily appreciate what she saying.  I am so obvious and loud in my wide-range of likes and interests that I could totally relate.  For example, not a year goes by that I'm not gifted a few items (dishes, art, socks, candles, magnets...) with owls on it.   
Likewise, I'll never have to actually buy an adult coloring book since I have such a swell assortment thanks to my friends and family.
After the conversation with my mom I had to ponder the other things people associate with me--the gifts they give, the memes and recipes and videos they share with me on Facebook, the stories they relate which they think I'll appreciate, new people they want to introduce me to, etc.  The results of this pondering are the list above.
I thought to myself, "Well, it is a good thing I'm so wide ranging and vocal about what I am into!"   It has to be harder to get burned out on any one thing that way.  It is a good list.  I'm totally cool with it.  Keep the argyle knee-socks and cat postcard sets coming!  These are a few of my favorite things!
(Full Disclosure:  I don't keep all the owls or coloring books (etc.) that I receive.  I've finally overcome my guilt about donating gifted items to charity without feeling like an ungrateful jerk.  I am glad for that ability in in this Era-of-Profuse-Stuff.  In an earlier stage I would just clutter up my space out of a sense of obligation or loyalty.  These days I am fairly firm on keeping only what I love or will actually use and display, though sometimes heirlooms still trip me up.)
I think it would be an intriguing list to draft again in five or ten years--see how things compare, what remains and what has faded away into one more closed chapter of my life--like nail polish and chicken nuggets (both of which would have likely made this same list back in my school days).

Comments

  1. Love your list! I want to do this, too.

    Also admire your pragmatism with what you keep and love. Good for you! And I agree, heirlooms are hard for me to discern what to do with. I have kept some things in storage that I personally don't love, but will see if my kids want when they are old enough to have their own place and a love/nostalgia for their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo! It was a rather enjoyable reflective activity. Oh, heirlooms! Those are the tricky ones! I wonder if it is less or more so since I don't have little ones to think of for the future. Hmmmmm, an interesting point to ponder. I do think of my niece though.

      I am highly sentimental. I have moved only once in the past 15 years. I think that has contributed to my accumulation for family artifacts. I had to learn the difference between an item imbued with family essence and one just casually owned by them, if that make a sense.

      Delete
  2. Love the cat pictures! And, those tights! Are they tights? Wild! You're right - you have to be able to get rid of some things. About the mushroom motifs - we have a woman coming to the library to teach how to make a needle-felted mushroom. My first thought was, "Why?" But then she brought in some animals she'd needle-felted, and Wow! A chipmunk, wolf, fox and other very well-done creatures. So, the mushroom is just a good beginner's project, I guess. You would probably enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I would enjoy that. There is a couple at some of our tie-dye craft shows who make felted wool animals. Matt and I each have one--a Wood Duck and a Harlequin Duck, respectively. Watching them work was mindblowing. That is a kind of art that I don't know much about! I'd give it a go!

      And yes! Wild tights!! I got a few pairs from my girlfriend. Initially I wasn't sure about them since my baselayer tends towards boring/basic black, but they're both in constant rotation these days.

      Delete
  3. What a fun post...and wow...I need to make some lefse...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuuuuuuuuuum! This reminds me: My MIL was talking about making an unprecedented Easter batch. I should follow up on that. (Usually it is just for Thanksgiving and Easter and weddings.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts