Feathers and Feet

I recently spent a week in southeastern Montana--a grand finale to birthday month and summer kickoff.  This is the part of Montana occasionally referred to as "the middle of nowhere."  Some of the state "highways" out there are still gravel.  I didn't know that was a thing.  They were in better condition that the paved highway between Alzada and Ekalaka though.  

We rented a forest service cabin for the bulk of it and then went backpacking for a couple days.  I spent four nights by myself in the cabin, since Matt couldn't really take days off yet and the college is now on summer session so its easy for me. 

I actually managed to forget about the pandemic while I was out there.  There was no one to keep my distance from.  I didn't go anywhere except the great wide open.  I didn't read about it or see the news or talk to anyone.  Whew!  

I had plenty of company though, mainly in the form of my avian friends.  I thought I'd round up some photos of them to share.  All photos from Cornell's All About Birds guide.

Lark Sparrow
Black-billed Magpie
Violet-green Swallow
Red Crossbill
White-breasted Nuthatch
Wild Turkey
American Crow
American Robin
Mountain Bluebird
Western Meadowlark
Redhead Woodpecker
Ring-necked Pheasant
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
Yellow Warbler
Bullock's Oriole
Mourning Dove
Brewer's Blackbird
Eastern Kingbird
Turkey Vulture
House Wren
Black-headed Grosbeak
European Starling
Gray Catbird
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Common Grackle
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Red-tailed Hawk
Hairy Woodpecker
Great Horned Owl
Red-winged Black Bird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bobolink
Sandhill Crane
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Spotted Towhee
Killdeer
Birds are the coolest.  Best.Neighbors.EVER.

Comments

Popular Posts