A Cat Friendship

On October 6, 2018, I spotted Ginger and Johnny curled up together in the basement.  It was the first time that I ever saw them voluntarily be that close together--so close as to touch!  Oh boy, it made my heart glad!  

2018

2018

Ginger detested Johnny for quite a long time when she joined the household.  They would hardly even stay in the same room.  In time she grew to treat Johnny with an indifference punctuated by small displays of I-Was-Here-First dominance.  I thought that might be as good as it got for their relationship.  Ginger and Johnny were both very much adults when they met and both came with some emotional baggage, so to speak.  So, I was okay with them not being best friends as long as they tolerated each other.

Johnny really, really, really wanted to be Ginger's pal though.  Johnny grew up with other cats.  Ginger did not.  I am happy to report that she has successfully worn Ginger down.  Johnny is so goofy and sweet.  How could she not?!?

On November 2, 2022, I was sitting on the couch with Johnny.... 

  • Sidebar:  In her golden years, Johnny is trying to become a lapcat.  She's always been a sit-beside-you cat.  I'm not sure what prompted the change over this past year, but she's started crawling into laps--mine especially since she seems to appreciate a skirt "hammock."  She still has a hard time figuring out how to get situated...sometimes she's only half on...but she's doing it.  The amount of new stuff Johnny learns as an old lady cat is an inspiration to me, strange as that might sound.

...who is half on my lap and half on the cushion next to me.  Ginger hops up on the couch and, with almost no hesitation, settles down in my lap directly on top of Johnny's front legs.  Johnny, because she is an incredibly agreeable creature, just started grooming Ginger's back--giving her pal a little affection even as Ginger invaded Johnny's space. 

Johnny loves licking--herself, Ginger, me, the carpet, her toys...  She is the Energizer Bunny of licking.

2022

2022

Despite how well they get along these days I was still surprised by how it played out.  I expected Johnny would defer to Ginger, relinquishing her lap spot and shifting over onto the sofa.  I thought Ginger would give Johnny a little attitude until she did so.  But no!  They just cuddle and purred. 

It is amazing what can happen given enough time.  

Comments

Popular Posts