Me Made May 2023

It is time for the annual Me-Made-May challenge!  

 I made this color-blocked, retro-looking, batwing shirt out of jersey knit scraps from my Grandma Nina's stash, plus one upcycled knit dress.  12/27/2023
According to Zoe, the creator of Me Made May, it is "...a wardrobe challenge that helps you improve your relationship with your handmade items. That includes your existing items, as well as the items you might choose to make in the future. To participate you need to wear your handmade items more often or in some way differently to how you usually get dressed. The point of doing this is to give yourself the opportunity to learn some useful lessons and/or alter how you feel about those items.   ...by giving yourself a month to focus more on what you’re wearing, you’re opening yourself to gathering heaps of knowledge that you can take forward. That knowledge will help you make better choices for future projects. By applying the lessons, you’ll be upping your chances of your future handmade items making you feel fantastic and having long, useful lives." 
Sorting through the thread box.  1/6/2023

Here's my objective this year:  “I, BLD in MT, pledge to wear at least one me-made, upcycled, mended, or modified garment every day throughout May 2023.”

I love this photo from Christmas 2022 with Matt and I beaming our lovelight at each other.  I am wearing my Rose Dress.  I am pretty sure the photo credit here goes to my SIL Clare.
Once upon a time, I had a vision of an entirely me-made wardrobe.  I've given that up because I have determined that there are some garments I just don't want to make, such as leggings or bras.  Plus, I have some wonderful pieces of vintage clothing and gifts, like that Lisa Simpson sweatshirt from Casey, that I wear all the time.  Maybe my feelings on this will swing back in the other direction again someday.  Who know?!?!  For now, I am quite content with my mix of wardrobe.

Sharon made me a fancy coffee to enjoy while creating an upcycled t-shirt dress at the sewing retreat in February. 2/18/2023
These days my sewing is really just an outlet for creative expression.  I am working at my machine every week and am fascinated by the process.  I learn something new almost every time that I'm in my sewing space.  Sometimes I amaze myself with what I can do!  In this mass-produced (and fast fashion) era, I get a thrill out of wearing clothing that is truly one of a kind.  Likewise, I am pleased as punch to mend and repair clothing in opposition to the throw-away culture.
Working on the Technicolor Party Coat with Ginger.  She thought the mound of scraps was very comfy and so I tucked her in.  Also pictured is the previously mentioned Lisa Simpson sweatshirt.  Photo credit to Matt.  3/26/2023

In the original spirit of  MMM, I will not be establishing a goal of making anything new this year.  I do hope to get some more mending done though.  Surely there are me-mades in the mending pile just waiting to get back into rotation.  :)

Comments

  1. What a brilliant goal!!!!! Doing from the scratch is impossible to me... but everything i buy is second hand. No new clothes in my house! I am so admirative of you people who have sewing skills! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with this! I look forward to seeing your finished products.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts