Those Awkward Blue Jay Teenagers

For several years, we've had Blue Jays around the house.  I feed them raw, unshelled peanuts on the railing of our front porch.  I have never grown weary of marveling at their beauty, even when I see it several times a day.   It is like Blue Jay TV from the front door or front windows.  Oh, they are gorgeous birds.  Gorgeous birds who announce their presence loudly!  I swear they perch in the pine tree and holler at me in the morning, "Ohhhhhhhh, Peanut Lady!!!  We're waiting!"  At which point I trot out there and line up the peanuts on the railing like their trained pet.  If I don't hear them, Matt will tell me they were beckoning.

I have seen the Blue Jays carry up to three peanuts (or two hazelnuts) at the same time.  They can really cram the nuts in there if desired.  It is almost like they unhinge their jaw.  Usually, they just take one peanut, fly up into the pine tree to eat it, and then return for another.  Over and over and over.  11/4/23
This was my evil plan all along.  In May 2021, I messaged some friends to report that, "I bought the Blue Jays peanuts. They’re gonna be my new best friends."  Perhaps best friend is a bit strong to describe our relationship, but I have been successful in my overall mission.  They're regulars.  They hang out and keep coming back.
The earliest photo of my Blue Jay pals that I could locate.  5/13/2021
Blue Jays make so many different kinds of vocalizations.  My favorite sounds like a boopy-doopy giggle.  It is such a goofy, friendly call.  It is the sound I mimic when I talk back to them.  They can shriek like a crow.  They murmur sweetly as they roost in the pines.  They squabble raucously at each other.  They have a lot to say and a big voice in which to say it.  
Such a striking bird.  The contrast of colors and patterns is so lovely.  4/30/2024

They are inquisitive and terribly clever.  Their territory seems to cover at least six neighboring lots.  They stash peanuts in the boughs of the pine trees and in crooks in the branches.  Their feathers are works of art and we have a growing collection of them in the curio cabinet.  The fluffy, downy ones are particularly nifty.  The Blue Jays are quite dextrous and agile with foot, wing, and beak.  I like to slide the peanuts into cracks and crevices and make them work for it.  I have so thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them over the years. 

That corner post on the porch is weathered and cracked on the top so I stuff the peanuts in there.  4/30/24

This year our Blue Jay pals successfully* raised babies!  Two of 'em!  

A bald little Blue Jay juvenile.  Just look at that scrawny, little reptilian head!  8/22/2024
The babies made me do a doubletake when they showed up last month for the morning porch peanut buffet.  Their bodies looked exactly like an adult Blue Jay in size and color...but the heads were freaky.  It was smooth and almost featherless.  The poor birds looked shaved.  Or scalped!  Plucked!  It looked like a lizard's head on a bird's body.  A velociraptorbluejay.  There was no white face.  No black collar.  No blue pompadour crest on top.  Freaky!  I was captivated, of course. 
A Blue Jay baby scoring some peanuts from the corner post just like Mommy taught.  8/22/2024

I read up on the lifecycle of Blue Jays in my field guides and online resources. It turns out that juvenile Blue Jays have to go through a couple molts before they get all that adult detail on their heads.  By wintertime, these babies will look identical to their mama.  They're just in their awkward teenage phase right now.  How fascinating!!

Nearly all of these photos were taken through the windows, including this one.  11/4/2023

It has been neat watching them learn.  They keep their mama busy, but she's doing a great job showing 'em the rope.  I mean, she taught them how to summon the Peanut Lady already and everything.  ;)  Gosh, birds are cool!

*We saw baby Blue Jays one other time, but I do not believe theirs was a success story.  Two adorable, tiny balls of blue fluff appeared after a bad storm.  We didn't know where their nest was, but their mom was still hanging around.  We put out some water and hoped for the best, but we never saw them again after that day.  They were so tiny and cute.  6/6/2021

Comments

Popular Posts