A Glass of Gratitude - Inspiration Thursday

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...be grateful that you have a glass and there is something in it. - unknown
I took yoga for a couple of years from an incredible woman named Elizabeth whom I think I should credit with instilling in me the idea that gratitude is one of the most important things in the world, one of the most desirable traits in an individual.  She used a mantra during our yoga practice that went something like, "An attitude of gratitude brings us joy."  Over the years I've come to see with increasing clarity that this is true.  This is the ticket!  If we're not grateful for what we already have why would we be grateful for more?  There is little I enjoy less than being with a person who has only complaints and little appreciation.  Even on my worst days I can always find something--many things--miraculous to lose myself in, even if for but a moment.  Things could always be improved, but if that is the single-minded focus it can be so easy to loose sight of how wonderful the NOW is.   This moment.  These people.  This house.  This flower.  And I think the more grateful and aware that we are the more wonders and gifts are placed in our path to be grateful for.  Cultivating an attitude of gratitude has increased the gladness and contentment in my life exponentially.  My cup runneth over and I am blessed beyond measure.  I wish there was a way for this feeling to grow in the hearts of every single person.  Easier said that done, but I think it starts with an attitude of gratitude.

Comments

  1. I've been practicing writing down things I am grateful for. Each morning I list a few. I don't have rules about the number of items on the list, just that I am truly grateful for that thing. I started a couple months back after reading some research that said that those who practice this are healthier and happier in their lives. It doesn't keep me from being "Blah" sometimes, but I think it helps. It feels nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts