Naturally Me

I am a nature-minded person.  The natural appeals to me.  It feels right to me.  I like the look of wood floors.  I like gardens that grow in a wild little tangle.  I prefer hiking the mountains to exploring new cities.  I prefer a good book to a gadget.  So, it seems logical that I don't paint my nails.  I don't paint my face.  I don't scent myself with fancy chemicals.  There is no hairspray or styling mousse at my house.
I am naturally me.
See, I like my natural nails.  I like my natural straight, red hair.  I like it loose and flowing uninhibited, too.  I like my natural skin, my freckles most especially.  I like my naturally rosy lips.  I like the little crows feet around my natural eyes when I smile.  I like me as I was made.
I, in no way, mean to imply its inherently wrong to wear lipstick.  That is not what I am getting at whatsoever.  Every person should feel beautiful every day.  That is what I'd want for everyone.  I just don't personally need commercially concocted tubes and sprays and whatnot to feel that way.
I already feel beautiful.  And Matt thinks I am already beautiful.  What a gift on both counts!
There was a time in my life for painted finger nails, waxed eyebrows, and lip gloss and things.  There was a time when putting on make-up was almost a necessity for going outdoors.  Then I realized, through personal reflection, that I didn't need any of it.  I could save my time and energy.  I am beautifully me as I am.  What a revelation!  Even without the eyeshadow or French tips I've never felt more confidant and prepossessing.  Its me.  Its not all that other stuff.  Its me.  And I like that.
In the interest of full disclosure, I might accentuate this natural beauty with something else naturally attractive--a pretty flower in my hair, a colorful scarf or silver necklace around my throat, or a dab of essential oil to my skin, but I feel no incentive to invest more time, chemicals, or money than that.  I also have a bottle of liquid foundation in my medicine cabinet that gets used on special occasions, like Val's wedding.  It must be seven years old and still not empty yet.  After some consideration, I don't think I will replace it when it runs dry.
I am a natural person.  I like to treat my body as naturally as possible.  I make a simple olive oil soap which I use for hands, hair, and body.  I use apple cider vinegar as a conditioning hair rinse.  I use natural essential oils for deodorant.  Though I don't need it often, I have a tub of coconut oil for moisturizing.  I don't need anything else.  I don't want anything else.  They meet the needs of my natural body without a bunch of chemicals or disposable packaging.  I like that.
I like the way nature made me--though I do suffer a bit from dry skin.  But still, in the grand scheme of things, praise be!
One more bit in the interest of full disclosure:  I do shave both my legs and armpits.  And we love tie-dye.  So, there we are.  Its not all natural over here....
(I like to wear skirts and tanktops to work and feel professionally obligated to shave.  All our dye chemicals are drain safe.)

Comments

  1. Beth, this is so great and you are amazing and beautiful. I admire your viewpoint so much, along with your contribution to inspiring others to love themselves for how they were made! I'm much better than I used to be, but still not 100% comfortable "in my own skin" (if that makes any sense). Much of it stems from my upbringing, but in the end, we really tend to self-impose certain standards, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes total sense, Jamie. I think that is a common feeling. I know I used to really struggle with it. Those cultural norms from upbringing can seem unbeatable, too. Still, every step towards self-love/acceptance like this, I think, is a good thing. You know, now that I think about it, I have no idea what you look like physically, but I am sure you are a very beautiful human being. It shows in your life. In your attitude. In those kids. ;) Thanks for your comment and may you have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This is a wonderful post. I started going grey/white in my early 30's. I have never felt the urge to color my hair to cover the white hair. Perhaps eventually I will, but right now I am happy just looking like I do. It might have helped that the white hair that came in gradually has made my bright red hair turn to what everybody now calls a more blonde color, as they think I have colored my hair.

    I never was what you would call a heavy makeup user, but when I turned 40 I gave it up for the most part. I did put on a bit of powder and eye liner when I attended a banquet last fall, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am delighted to hear this. With so much emphasis on women "improving" their looks with cosmetics, surgery, diets, etc. I am just so pleased to feel happy with myself. And I am always happy to meet another so content...grey hairs and all. (I had a boss who had jet black hair. Then she got cancer and had chemo and all her hair fell out. When it started growing in again I was shocked to learn it was totally grey. She'd been coloring it for decades. It was almost universally agreed that she looked fantastic with grey hair. So, she kept it like that for the rest of her life. I liked it better.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts