Each Sacred Coat - NaPoWriMo

Each Sacred Coat
I rubbed some of the lignite into the leather
As we hiked the badlands
And now we're one.
Tied together through experiencing each other.

It pleasures me to recollect all the places
Those boots and I have shared,
Have wandered.
Across the martian red sands at Bryce
Where they temporarily transitioned to ochre
Through dewy meadows littered with spring flowers,
Superficially growing sodden, but not my feet.
Over the thin rail of Angel's Landing
Feeling solid and reliable.
Brushed with Yellowstone's sweet sage
Under the towering ceiling of pine.
Down into the dusty Grand Canyon
And up again.
They've been baptized in the milky waters
Of Grinnell Glacier.

Like tree rings, I envision these layers
One after another
As one journey draws closed so another may open
Each a sacred coat
Which travels home with me
In addition to the joyful song in my heart.
(Matt and I spent our Earth Day hiking.  Oh, what a beautiful, diverse, incredible world with which we've been blessed!!  If you need an idea for incorporating more Earth Day vibes into your everyday life check out this list of simple ideas.)
Note:  This is an installment of my endeavor to write a Poem-A-Day in honor of April being National Poetry Month.  If you want to take part in the annual celebration of all thing poetry consider signing up to receive a poem each day in your email courtesy of the Academy of American Poets.  Or take participate in Poem-in-Your-Pocket Day on April 27th.  There are also loads of Poem-a-Day challenges on the local and international level to inspire creativity and hone the art of poetry writing.

Comments

  1. ...loved this boot poem...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I was quite pleased with it. It came to my while I was sitting taking in the view from the first photo in the post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts