Inside the Desert of Me - NaPoWriMo

Inside the Desert of Me
I have scales like a fish
Or maybe more like an iguana
Or a Gila monster, even.
Too arid to be aquatic, I guess.
The landscape of my skin is a desert.
Definitely too dry for a fish.
My scales are red.
Sometimes pink-ish, I suppose.
When I try to flick them off,
Smooth things out,
Catch a loose edge and tug,
They multiply and expand instead.
One becomes two, small becomes large.
The temptation is real.
My fingers itch.
Note:  This is an installment of my endeavor to write a Poem-A-Day in honor of April being National Poetry Month.  If you want to take part in the annual celebration of all thing poetry consider signing up to receive a poem each day in your email courtesy of the Academy of American Poets.  Or take participate in Poem-in-Your-Pocket Day on April 27th.  There are also loads of Poem-a-Day challenges on the local and international level to inspire creativity and hone the art of poetry writing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts