Mending the Laundry Basket

I think it is cool to fix broken stuff.  I find no objection to a mended or patched aesthetic.  Just the opposite, in fact.  It is satisfying.  It makes good sense from a resource point of view every way I slice it.  I lament the throw-away culture that surrounds me.  So, I was pretty pleased to repair the broken handle on my laundry basket.  Especially since it took mere minutes and involved items I already owned.  I've been using the repaired basket for months and it has held up great.  As good as new!

As it happens, this isn't the first time I have extended the life of a broken laundry basket.  In that case, I used t-shirt rag strips to bind the splintering wicker together.  In this case, I used duct tape and a dry-erase marker.

The marker is just barely visible under there.
I broke the handle of our plastic laundry basket when balancing it against my hip with just one hand.  Probably so I could open the door or something.  We've had it for a decade and I've done this a gazillion times.  But, this time, the handle broke.  Oops.

I recalled something I'd seen online about using a wooden dowel or part of an old rake handle, etc. to reinforce such breaks.  I had filed it away in my mental database for future use--and then I actually remembered it when the time came!!  I didn't have a dowel handy.  What I did have immediately to hand was a fat, dried-out, blue marker.  So I used that.  

The marker fit perfectly into the space beneath the handle, buttressing it across the broken gap.  I even had blue duct tape (for some reason) so the laundry basket patch is all color-coordinated.  Bonus!

Since there's no composting this one as I did with the wicker basket it makes me extra pleased to have extended its useable lifespan.  

9/20/2023 Addendum:  After reading this post Matt informed me that we have blue duct tape because I used it to patch some holes in my blue winter coat!  :)

Comments

  1. Great job! I've got a wicker basket I use in the garden whose handle needs shoring up. It's been wet so many times from the morning dew, it's begun coming apart. My original thought was some leather I thrifted, cut in strips, but I like your T-shirt idea, and may try that, and just do the outer layer in leather. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! Best of luck with your own basket repair!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea and yay for saving an item from landfill/recycling 🙂💙

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Better to repair it than to add another large piece of plastic to the dump! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is only postponing the inevitable, but...

      Delete
  4. So excellent! Love that you used a piece of (essentially) trash to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning that! Yes! Trash to the rescue-- giving TWO things more useable life!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree! Fixing broken stuff and keeping things "alive" is the what we should always do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts