Potato Blossoms

The potatoes at the community garden are blossoming.  It is so interesting to me how the different varieties have different colored blossoms.  Some are pink, some white, some purple.  It seems to coordinate with the color of the potato flesh somewhat.  Or at least I think it does.  The purple blossoms are on the All-blue potatoes, which are purple if you ask me and not at all blue.
 
We have 128 square feet at the community garden and almost every inch of it is growing potatoes.  We love potatoes and plant more and more every year.  They are a good crop for us to have over there because they mostly take care of themselves which makes it easier since we don't go over to the garden daily.  It also frees up a lot of room at our home garden. We did put in two rows of onions though and for once they actually look like they might make respectable bulbs.  Here is hoping!  (If anyone knows the secret to why my onions always fall over before making a large bulb I'd LOVE to know!)
Both the home garden and the community garden desperately need weeded, but it was so darn hot yesterday I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  But, its only pretty hot today so maybe I can manage to get a few beds cleared out so the little plants don't have so much competition.

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about the heat. I always try to get out in our garden and yard before the sun is up whenever possible in the summer. It looks like you are going to have an AWESOME potato harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so!

      We had grand plans to do it at 6am this morning, but we got side-tracked trying to get our ditch pump up and running before the lawn shrivels up and dies.

      Delete
  2. When I would go to my elderly neighbor's house about 9 am, still sleepy-eyed, she would say she got a whole day's work done before I got out of bed. She would go out at 5 am in her long-line bra and girdle and hose, pants or dress, and a long-sleeved shirt.

    If you don't know, a long-line bra is one that comes to the waist and has a girdle effect. She then took several 3-inch safety pins and pinned the bra to the girdle. the girdle came to her knees.

    My white potatoes had the most delicate lavender blossoms. Your plants look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your stories, Linda. That is quite the picture you've painted there! I had to google long line bra just to be sure I was picturing the right thing. I'm so glad for having never worn a girdle. Who knows maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but something tells me otherwise....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts