Spice Jar Labels

I like to draw and color and I like practical reasons to be creative.  Thus, it's only natural that I should make fun little labels for my bulk herb and spice jars.  I recently replaced the last of the plastic jars with glass ones.  I had to make several new labels.  It's really fun to try to come up with just the right label for each spice.  So, I thought I'd share what I'd come up with.  I incorporate the tare weight (the weight of the empty jar) as well as the bin number for the co-op into the label design so that they are easy to refill.  The people at the co-op always comment on them which make me happy.
My dad is a bit of a card.  When I was growing up he'd call all-purpose flour all-PORPOISE flour.  And he'd call mustard MOUSEturds.  So when I got to the ground mustard jar that was the first thing that came to my mind--mice.  Matt was puzzled at first, "Why is there a mouse on the mustard?"  When I explained the story about my dad it made him laugh and now he says he chuckles to himself every time he sees the little mouse on the jar.
Do you see the cumin in the back ground?  (Q + Men)  The Thyme (front right) is a bit hard to read in the photo, but it covered with clocks.  The oregano (rear left) is modeled on Marge Simpson's hair because of an episode in which she find a spice rack at a chili cook-off and says "Eight spices!  Some of these must be double.  Or-e-gone-o...what the hell?!"  which never fails to crack me up.  Actually just about any time oregano is mentioned in my household it is followed by "What the...?"
I really like how the Italian seasoning turned out.  I was going for the sort of table cloth you might find in an Italian restaurant.  I also was absolutely tickled with my cardamon playing card design.

Comments

  1. These are adorable! I love this kind of play! I didn't label my spices at all until about 2 years ago when my husband re-entered our household cooking and needed to know what was what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, I suppose its one thing to have ordered chaos when you're the only one in there and know the order!

      Delete
  2. Those spice labels are all so cute and creative. Maybe someday I will get so energetic to decorate my jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a really good time at it. And really you could make just one jar at a time if you didn't have too much time or energy. I made mine in at least four sessions as I'd start to loose steam after a while....I guess I have a lot of spices! There are even more I didn't pull down for the photo!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE YOUR LABELS!!!!!! That are so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts