Making a Life - Inspiration Thursday

"I've learned that making a living is not the same thing as making a life." - Maya Angelou
Yesterday was Maya Angelou's last day on this planet.  I would not say I am a mega-fan or anything, but I was sad to hear the news--though she certainly lived a long and varied life.  I've always enjoyed her works, especially the poetry.  She was a woman of powerful words.  She was a woman who promoted justice and beauty.  She always makes me think of my friend Morgan, whom gifted me my first book of Maya's poetry.
All things must come to an end, but I always find the passing of such influential, artistic brilliance to be an especially bittersweet one.  The world needs all the artists we can muster, I think, to remind us what a beautiful, special, mystical place it is so that we remember to cherish it--and each moment we have here.
This quote has always resonated with me.  I think this is a very fundamental part of our vision for voluntary simplicity.   Matt and I do not strive to make a living.  We're heading the call to make a life.  It become clearer and clearer to me with each passing season that these things are most certainly different aims.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts