A Birthday Party Sewing Extravaganza -- With a Wallet!

My mom turned 60 today.  I called her, but only got her voicemail.  I sure hope she is having a very special day.  She is a very special lady.
While I was not able to spend time with her on her actual birthday we did have a pretty swell birthday party last weekend.  See, my mom is quite the quilter.  So are her friends.  Me, not so much--though I do love my dressmaking!  For her birthday celebration we rented a house specifically set up for a quilting retreat--eight beds, eight sewing stations, cutting tables, ironing tables, a kitchen, and a dining room that seats eight.  So, with seven of her friends (counting me, of course) she had a little sewing party birthday extravaganza weekend.  We ate pizza and drank wine.  We sewed until the wee hours of the morning.  We laughed and swapped stories and sewing tips.  We had cake and sang--even if I did forget the candles.  I made her a birthday crown.  I am a big believe in festive birthday headgear--just ask Matt!  It was a very enjoyable time.  It seemed like a very fitting birthday party for my crafty mama.
And while at the sewing retreat I managed to finish my first bit of quilting--an adorable little wallet.  I am so pleased with how it turned out.  I think perhaps I should ease into quilting with small, manageable projects like this one.  I learned a lot!  And I actually had fun with it, too!  I also finished the quilt top I started at the sewing retreat my mom organized in October, but that is just the top.  The end is still so far from sight.  Plus, I found that decidedly less fun.  Still, the wallet was cool.  I used some of the same fabric as from the Tree Hugger Dress--the tree center square, for example.

Comments

  1. Okay, that's adorable. AND I WANT ONE. Christmas/Birthday list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time coming up with gifts most of the time. So, yes, one on lock down. Yes. Favorite colors?

      Delete
  2. That is so cool, what a lovely way to celebrate her special day. I love the colourful wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was just lovely. A perfect celebration for my mama. And I was over the moon with how the wallet turned out. It involved learning a lot of new things! That is a good thing, but doesn't always mean the first try end product will be that awesome. But, I am pleased.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts