Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Matt's Artform

Matt says he can't even draw stick people.  He refuses to play Pictionary, a game I love, due to this inability to draw.  (He can draw though if he must for say, garden sketches, and once he made a sunrise sequence on four small squares of paper with oil pastels just for fun.  I have seen it and I have the proof.)  He used to say he was not at all creative--though he has always had a great eye for art and is frequently offering helpful suggestions that improve my doodles and drawings.  But when he started tie-dying all those years ago now he had finally found IT.  He found his creative medium.  He is a brilliant dye artist making things I'd never even attempt.  And he keeps getting better and better with practice.  His most recent batch actually made me stop mid-sentence when I noticed them sitting in a nice little pile on the coffee table.  I think that they are so good that I want to show them to everyone!
 
 
 
 
 
We've got a number of holiday shows coming up and we sure hope that our customers like them as much as we do.

11 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! I'm glad you shared. My favorite is the third one. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are spectacular! Okay, what are they? I recognize tshirts, but this...curious. Seeing his work makes me want tie dye. I have never had anything tiedyed. You know back in the heyday of tie dye, only dirty hippies and druggies wore that stuff. (Not my opinion)

    The swirls I get. Even some of the other patterns I understand. But, these amaze and confound me.

    I cannot draw at all or anything artistic, even though I have four siblings who are artistically and musically talented. However, I have been described as being artistic because of my sewing, not the technical part--the designs and patterns I draft and colors I combine. For the life of me, I cannot even play a tambourine. I can tell you everything about reading and executing music. Yes, I took piano lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing is most certainly an art--especially if you've a flair for the design part!

      These are tapestries that can really be used for whatever--table cloths, curtains, wall hanging, sarongs, etc. We've even had large ones used a quilt backs!

      Delete
  3. Are any for sale? If so, can you email pricing info?

    Thanks,

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! They are truly incredible! I would want to keep them all for myself instead of selling them ;) What a gift Matt has. Thanks for sharing his art with us!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it IS hard to part with them! But, a person can only have so many tie-dye shirts, skirts, bed sheets, table cloths, napkins, etc, so it has gotten easier!! : )

      Delete
  5. So amazing...What great talent Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'll be sure and share them with Matt! Practice really does make a world of difference! Its amazing to compare these with the dyes we were making a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!