Soft Pretzels



And to think that at one point in time I did not enjoy soft pretzels.  Pfffft....what did I know!?!
Soft Pretzels 
1 T sugar
3 C warm water
2 t active dry yeast
3 C flour
1 t salt
2 T veg oil
2 T baking soda
2 T coarse salt

Lightly oil a baking sheet (or use the one you never wash and so has a nice seasoned finish like we do).
Stir sugar into 1 cup of the water.
Add the yeast and whisk until dissolved.  Let sit 10 minutes.

Combine flours, salt, and oil into a bowl.
Add the yeast mixture, forming a sort of ball.
Knead for about three minutes.
Place in lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel.  
Let dough rise in a warm area for about two hours until doubled in size.
With floured hands divide the dough into 12 equal parts.
Roll each into a ball and let rest for about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll balls into about a 16 inch rope and form into pretzel shapes, twists, or other desired shape.
In a large bowl disolve the baking soda in the remaining 2 cups of water.  
Carefully dip the formed pretzels into the water-soda mixture, shaking off excess.
Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.

These can be frozen and reheated later!  You know, that is, if you don't eat them all right away...which you will...so better make extra!  Reheat at about 375 degrees F.

Comments

  1. YUMMY YUMMY YO - those look fabulous, I can just about taste them :)

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good! And pretty fun to make too what with the twisting and dunking and all.

      Delete
  2. LOVE pretzels. Although I lick the salt off before eating it, lol. Weird eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! See I eat strategically so that if possible there is a bit of salt on each bite!!!

      Delete
  3. Thank You for sharing this recipe..I must try making them .... I may make a batch or two or six... and take to the Grandchildren this next week ..Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should always remember to make six batches!! Maybe then I would actually have some make it to the freezer for a later day! I hope your grandkiddies enjoy them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts