Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jalapeno Corn Fritters

Two things are coming ripe in the garden, jalapenos at the home garden and corn at the community garden.  So we've had jalapeno corn fritters a few times with dinner this week.   Yum.
I first made corn fritters for a school project where I had to make a recipe at home.  My mom and I fried fritters in her electric skillet.  I think it had something to do with exploring the foods of other cultures, but I really cannot recall the details of the assignment.  All that stands out in my mind is how much I liked them.  (But, what isn't delicious when fried I ask you!?)  Matt had never had fritters until I made them for him years back.  These little gems are crispy on the outside and soft, doughy goodness on the inside.  They can be made without the jalapenos, but are a touch sweeter without the savory, spiciness of the pepper.   Either way I think they are fabulous.
Jalapeno Corn Fritters
2 cups corn
2 T milk
1 t baking powder
1T applesauce
1/4-1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1-1 1/4 C flour
 egg replacer for 3 eggs 
1-2 jalapenos, diced and with seeds
oil for frying

Pulse corn in food processor until it is half crushed, half whole corn.  Combine along with all other ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.  

Drop large globs into heated oil and fry over medium heat until nice and golden.

4 comments:

  1. They look good. They sound good. But, I am too ill to cook and no one has volunteered to make these for me...whine....whine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love fritters here on CTF, I usually make corn and sweet chilli, with a bit of grated ginger. The applesauce in your recipe sounds interesting, will give it a go. Thanks for sharing!
    Best wishes Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. You eat like a King and Queen! ¡Que Delicioso!‏ (the HS Spanish came out!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling and eating better Linda!

    Bridget - I bet fresh ginger would be delightful in a fritter. But, then again, what isn't it delightful in?

    I sure feel like I eat like a queen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!