Roasted Veg Samosas

My new favorite food:  Roasted Veg Samosas. 
Roasted vegetables are a common dinnertime item around our house.  I basically love anything when roasted.  I even finally managed to enjoy broccoli when I finally tried roasting it.  Roasting is amazing.  So is pastry.  Combine the two and you've got Beth's Roasted Veg Samosa.   Soft, seasoned vegetables wrapped up in a crispy, thin pastry.

Beth's Roasted Veg Samosa
dough:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Filling:
2 potatoes
1 sweet potato
1 small head of cauliflower
1 large portobello cap
2 carrots
1 small onion
2-3 tablespoon olive oil
2 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
   salt, to taste
4 tablespoons lemon juice

To make the dough, place flour and salt in  bowl and mix. Add milk.  Mix until dough starts to form a ball.   Knead for a minute.  Add additional flour if needed.  Refrigerate dough.  Cover it if you plan on chilling it for any great length of time.  I don't because I usually roll it out within a half hour of making it.

To make the filling get out a big baking dish and fill with vegetables chopped up into bite sized pieces.  Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over veggies.  Mix.  Sprinkle seasonings over top.  Mix again.  Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender.  Remove from oven and set oven temperature to 425 degrees F.

While the veggies are roasting, take the dough ball and cut in in half, and half again, and so on until you get 10-16 little dough balls.  Flour hands and rolling pin. Get a small bowl of water and a fork.  On a floured surface, one at a time, roll the dough balls out into about a 6" circle.  After taking the veggies out of the oven put a scoop of two of filling in center of each circle.  Use your finger to apply water around the edges of the dough to make it sticky.  Pull dough together to make crescent shape and crimp edges firmly with fork to seal in all that goodness.   Gently place the samosa on a baking sheet and bake 15 - 20 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown.

The variations are endless.  Seriously.  Add some peas.  Add some beans.  Add some fresh grated ginger.  Add eggplant.  (I've added all of those things and those samosas were incredible, too!)

I also really enjoy their easy portability.

Comments

  1. Yum, thanks for sharing the recipe, I will make them this weekend. I've never roasted brocolli, but will try it now that you give it the heads up.
    Have a lovely weekend, its nice to visit again. Take care
    TFS - popped over from Down To Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try these. I am trying to incorporate more "Mediterranean" type foods in our diet. This recipe will be fun to make for my family. Thanks!...............Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks heavenly!! Now I want some...gotta find the gluten free recipe for the pastry in my cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good and sounds delicious. Plain or self-rising flour?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - Oh yes, try roast broccoli. With a little bit of lemon juice and some garlic I was finally convinced of broccoli's virtues. So far, I only like it roasted.

    Denise - I found them quite fun to make myself and I hope your household enjoys them as much as mine.

    Janice - I was actually thinking of my gluten free sister and pondering trying to make a gluten free version. Also my arthritis has been quite flared up encouraging me to explore it for my own benefit. If you have a great GF pastry recipe that works for this I would be keen to know it.

    Linda - Plain flour. The samosas photographed are unbleached white flour. I've also made them with whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. After looking at your latest post and the giant samosas, I wondered and came back to look. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts