Thursday, August 4, 2011

Old Fashioned Apple Sauce Cake

For our household no cake fits better than an apple sauce cake.  Apple sauce is one of the few things we produce 100% of our own of.  It was our very first all-the-way-through-the-year-self-sufficient accomplishment.  So, a cake that calls for loads of applesauce is a big winner for me.  It calls for absolutely no milk which I thoroughly appreciate as it is expensive and comes in a disposable container. 
August 1st was Jerry Garcia's birthday and I figured that was reason enough for cake.  Not that I really need much of a reason to motivate me to make a cake....

Old Fashioned Apple Sauce Cake
1/3 cup shortening/oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups apple sauce
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix oil and sugar together.  Add in apple sauce.  Mix together dry ingredients and add to apple sauce mixture.  Pour into a greased and floured pan.  Bake 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!