Matt works in a warehouse setting and is consequently pretty hard on his clothes, pants in particular. Patching the holes in his pants has probably saved us quite a bundle. It is also pretty satisfying to turn something torn and broken into something useful again.
That said, I am pretty good at procrastinating on my mending. In fact, I've had it happen where I ended up scrapping several pairs of Matt's pants that were in the mending basket because by the time I got to them the pants no longer fit. I keep thinking I should build a mending day into my household routine, but it just hasn't happened. I need to work on finding more time for sewing projects in general.
I wish I owned more dresses so I was instantly keen to fix this one for real this time. The problem is really one of design-to-Beth incompatibility I think. The dress has a split up the front up to right below the knee for ease of walking. However, in my running about, walking, cycling, gardening, and whatnot I must take it too far and caused the fabric to tear in matching holes where the split stops. I guess I put too much pressure on it.
|The twin holes, with brown first attempt mending thread visible, after having a piece of grey corduroy pinned to the inside.|
|I went back and forth over the area with a zig-zag stitch, several times.|
|Then I hand sewed a little strip of flower trim saved off a dress I loved years ago to camouflage the rather messy looking--but strong-- zig-zag stitches.|