A Satisified Mind

So, to keep on the same theme as the poem I posted yesterday I have something else to share--A Satisfied Mind.
 
I really, really adore this song.  I love to play it on my guitar and have Matt sing along.  I frequently find myself humming it (along with Simple Gifts) while I am working around the house.  For a long time I thought it was written by The Byrds because that was the first place I'd heard it.  Then I thought it was Bob Dylan because I heard him sing it too and The Byrds covered quite a number of his songs.  Then, two days ago, I learned  that it is a Porter Wagoner song first recorded in 1951.  But, that wasn't totally accurate either.  From what I can tell it is a song written by Red Hayes and Jack Rhodes, but first recorded by Wagoner. 

The origin really isn't the important part though with a song this swell.  Everyone just wants to sing it from Ella Fitgerald to Johnny Cash and everywhere in between....myself included.

I hope that you have a satisfied mind.   As long as you've got that you are set.  I've found that as I simplify and slow down in life it is just that much easier to be satisfied with life.  When you are thrilled with the simple things it is easy to be happy. 

A Satisfied Mind

How many times have you heard someone say,
If I had his money I'd do things my way.
But little they know,
That it's so hard to find,
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind.

Once I was wading in fortune and fame.
Everything that I dreamed of to get a start in life's game.
But suddenly it happened,
I lost every dime.
But I'm richer by far with a satisfied mind.

When life has ended and my time has run out,
My friends and my loved ones,
I'll leave there's no doubt.
But one thing for certain,
When it comes my time,
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind.

Comments

  1. I w\always loved his suits... today he'd be "Blingaliscious"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite frankly, about some things I do not have a satisfied mind. I am quite justified in not being satisfied. However, I do understand the concept and in many ways am satisfied. The music was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, he sure is! : )

    This was the first I ever saw/heard of him, but I like his era of country music a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLD.
    Dolly Parton was on the Porter Wagoner Show. She went to Nashville in 1964 and joined Wagoner in 1967. He was a great help to her career. In the late 60s and early 70s we never missed it. Part of that time we lived in Missouri, his home state. No one ever missed his show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is neat. There is so much I don't know. I'm glad to finally learn of Porter Wagoner. I have certainly been missing out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts