Cashew Cream Cheese

Cashew cream cheese is readily becoming a staple at our house.  It is a snap to prepare and tastes so rich and creamy.   I have to say that I've never really been a huge fan of cream cheese outside of a cheesecake, but Matt is.  I don't think this recipe would 'fool' anyone into thinking it was true, dairy cream cheese, but is sure tastes like a luxurious spread to me--I mean we're talking ground up cashews here, after all.  We've been having it with breakfast on toast or bagels.  At Christmastime I also ate quite a bit of it with Becky's hot pepper jelly on crackers.  The cool, smooth, tanginess of the cheese really compliments the hot and spicy sweetness of the jellies. 
Cashew Cream Cheese

2 C raw cashews, soaked 24 hours and drained
1/2 C plain, unsweetened non-dairy yogurt (a regular, individual sized yogurt cup)
1/4 t salt

In a food processor combine all and process until very smooth.  Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a towel, and let sit at room temperature for 24-72 hours until the cheese is very thick and has developed the desired level of sharpness.  Store in fridge for up to four weeks.
This is another of the recipes we got from that intriguing VegNews article.  I don't think it tastes as decadently good as unbrie cheese, but it is simpler to make and requires none of the more unusual ingredients such as agar agar. 

Comments

  1. I have made meals from my hot pepper jelly with cream cheese and crackers. My friend ate the hot pepper jelly and cream cheese on bread. Her husband and son did not care about the kind of cheese, just as long as they could put my hot pepper jelly on it.

    This is the food of the gods. And, I don't like hot things.

    Your vegan cheeses are interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts