A Sweet Chili Sauce

I love sauces.  I love spicy.  It only naturally follows that I love spicy sauces a whole lot.  This is my newest creation--finally--a sweet chili sauce that is still just hot enough.
Thai-Style Sweet Chili Sauce
6-8 cloves of garlic
8+ fresh cayenne peppers (or dried that have been rehydrated)
1/2 c white vinegar
2/3 c sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C water + 4 T (divided)
2 T tapioca flour (or cornstarch, in a pinch)

Puree all ingredients in a blender except the tapioca flour and 4 T of water.
Place the puree in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally as you go.
Whisk tapioca and remaining water together in a small bowl.
Add tapioca mixture to saucepan and simmer until sauce thickens as desired.
Cool, bottle, and store in the fridge.
This makes about two cups, depending on how thick you let it get.  It can get VERY thick if you're not careful.  I like to make a bottle that is pourable, but I also like to have a nice and thick chili sauce for dipping.  
While it is fantastic on Asian dishes, as the name might imply, I have also sampled it in a variety of other ways, too.  Burgers topped with sauteed mushrooms and chili sauce was quite excellent, as was a dollop on breakfast potatoes, roast veg, or falafel, as pictured above.

Comments

Popular Posts