The Last of the Fingerlings

We ate the last of our homegrown potatoes on the weekend.  Since we took, ah, zero garden notes last year we don't really know for sure when we ate the first of the crop.  It appears to have been sometime in early July, based on photographic evidence.  Months and months of potatoes.  

And not just any ol' potatoes either.  Those fingerlings were so tender and buttery.  We were both pleasantly surprised they held as well as they did for this long.  

We did buy two bags of Russets over the holiday season--fingerlings aren't the best for mashing--but other than that we've just been munching our way through these adorably tasty little beauties.  

The last batch of them were fried up with some crumbled tofu and served for breakfast.  Yum.

Comments

  1. So cool! My husband *just* said to me yesterday that maybe we should grow potatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! They're one of my garden favorites, really. Pretty low maintenance and I think digging them is some of the most fun harvesting to be had. Like a treasure hunt!

    We stopped growing them for a handful of years, but picked it back up again last year. We missed the fresh-dug earthy flavor of new potatoes though. New potatoes and fresh young peas are a seasonal delight! Not to mention the beauty and variety of potatoes available via the garden that can be sometimes hard to find (or hard to afford) in the grocery store, at least here. Like blue fleshed all the way through! And fingerlings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,
    ...oh...that looks so good...I've never met a potato I didn't like...and yours look so delicious...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much right there with you. I don't like potato salad so that's why I have to insert the pretty much. Man though! Potatoes are a wonder!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts