We Share/Our Story

Matt and I share...a lot.  We'll split a beer when we go out for dinner or a kombucha after work rather than having our own. We were quite contentedly a one-car household for more than a decade.  We still happily share a smartphone now.  

Because we share the phoneputer Matt has become a Facebook observer over the years.  He doesn't have an account of his own and just scrolls through using mine.  He doesn't interact with people, but he like "saving" interesting tidbits to show me.  Mostly cats, comics, history, book, and nature type things.  He enjoys seeing what our friends and family are up to, learning from other skilled people, and keeping tabs on musicians we like.  Photos of his cousin's new baby and our friend's new dog, for example.  Or recipes and techniques from a handful of seitan, tofu and vegan food groups.  Facebook live stream concerts.  Silly childhood stories and retro photos from the aunts.  Things like that.  

On Sunday I asked Matt to take a Valentine's Day photo with me.  He asked, "For the Facebook Valentine's thing?"  I told him no, that I was just going to send it to the BobLobLaws.  Matt told me he'd enjoyed reading several of those Valentine's Day stories.  He went on to say that most of the FB fill-in-the-blank surveys don't really interest him, but he thought those love stories were kind of cool.  Old loves, new loves, so many different stages and kinds of love.

I had seen the Valentine's themed Our Story posts going around, but I didn't pay them a whole lot of attention, I guess.  Matt's comments made me go back for a second look.  Since he seemed to dig them, I decided to write up our story for him.  

I gave it to him a couple days after Valentine's Day and he offered only one correction--he says he is the more competitive one even if he does subscribe to the "if you had fun, you won" philosophy.  Its probably true that he tries harder at games and sports than I do so I guess Matt IS the more competitive one.  I still would never use that word to describe him though.  

Matt seemed to appreciate and enjoy reading my version of Our Story.  My response to who falls asleep first made him laugh pretty good.  Then we had a lively conversation--and looked up some distances--in regards to the travel question.  San Diego was the furthest away from Montana, but Hillberry in Arkansas and Saguaro National Park in Arizona were close contenders.  We flew much of the distance on all of those trips though so Matt then calculated the furthest we'd ever traveled from home exclusively by car (Further Fest with Josh in Calaveras County, California) and led a discussion on the various long distance roadtrips we've taken (the honeymoon loop, the trip out to Mount Rainier, the Colorado Megavacation...).  

Man, oh, man!  Have we had some outstanding journeys together!?!?  I have my fingers crossed as hard as possible that we will have more this year!

Matt is strategically holding our festive table runner behind us for a love-tastic backdrop.  That was 100% his idea.  He is so darn cute.  I just love him beyond words. 
(Also:  I am going to be the most wrinkly old lady ever!  Just look at those joy lines I've got working here already!!)

Valentine’s Day is coming!  Here’s our story:

  • How’d you guys meet? 
    • We worked the same shift at the Fedex Ground warehouse.
  • First Date? 
    • I don’t think we had an official one, really, but I guess I’ll count the time I invited him over for dinner because the power had been out at his place for two days.  Of course, the fact that I invited him over to have dinner with me and my at-the-time boyfriend makes it decidedly NOT a date.  But…
  • How long have you been together? 
    • It was 15 years in October 2020.
  • Married? 
    • Yes, since 2014.
  • Age difference? 
    • Matt is just a shade more than 2.5 years older than me.
  • Who was interested first? 
    • I’d say it was mutual, but complicated.  As soon as I saw the hip-looking new guy with the blonde ponytail I knew I wanted to befriend him and I did….at which point Matt was bummed to learn I already had a boyfriend.  So, as a result, we were just friends for most of the summer and then it became something more than friends that fall when I was suddenly single again.
  • Who is taller? 
    • Matt
  • Who said I love you first? 
    • I’m pretty certain it was me.  He immediately returned it though. 
  • Most impatient? 
    • Matt 
  • Most sensitive? 
    • Me, perhaps OVERLY sensitive, in fact.
  • Loudest? 
    • Me…most of the time.  But really, we’re both pretty gosh darn loud humans.
  • Most stubborn? 
    • Me 
  • Falls asleep first? 
    • In the car—me.  In front of the TV—me.  In bed at bedtime—usually Matt.
  • Who cooks more? 
    • Matt, but it is a pretty even split these days.  We both enjoy it a lot.  Early on in our relationship he cooked 100% of the time.  I was clueless.
  • Better morning person? 
    • Matt, but I am making progress.
  • Better driver? 
    • Matt. 
  • Most competitive? 
    • I’m not sure.  We both like to play, but who wins usually doesn’t matter.
  • Funniest? 
    • Hmmmmm, I guess I’ll say me, but mostly because Matt is a little more reserved than me generally.  He’s friggin’ hilarious though. 
  • Where do you eat out most as a couple? 
    • Fancy Sushi 
  • Who is more social? 
    • Definitely me. 
  • Who is the neat freak? 
    • Matt.  He is so tidy.  I am an organization freak though. 
  • Where was your first kiss? 
    • At Matt’s little tiny house on Beverly Hill. 
  • Who initiated your first kiss? 
    • I’m gonna say it was me, but I am not 100% sure. 
  • Who picks where you go to dinner? 
    • We don’t really eat out much, but when we do Matt usually picks the place, especially when we’re travelling.
  • Who is the first one to admit when they’re wrong? 
    • Matt.
  • Who has more tattoos? 
    • Matt.  With one. 
  • Who sings better? 
    • Matt, because he can do harmony.  We’re both good at it though and I love singing together. 
  • Spends the most? 
    • Matt, but he also sets up the budget and has a better sense for prices and numbers and quality.  He is very good with money.
  • Did you go to the same school? 
    • Not at all. 
  • Where is the furthest you two have traveled together? 
    • The San Diego area.  We flew in there for a few days with Adam.  Then Adam drove us to Las Vegas for a wedding.  Then we rented a car and drove a magnificent loop to Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon National Parks.  Then back to Vegas and home again.
  • Who drives when you are going somewhere together? 
    • Always Matt.  I don’t like driving and he does.  It is a match made in heaven.

Comments

  1. Oh I love this! Thanks for sharing your story! We love you guys so much.

    Clare & Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friends!!! I appreciate that immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,
    ...such a sweet love story...it was a delight to read...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts