Next Level Collar Mending

I've sewn a handful of shirts for Matt over the past year.  This process, among other things, taught me about making collars.  

My handsome hubby in his newly mended green shirt.  3/29/2023

This knowledge, in turn, made me realize I could mend two of Matt's shirts that I had previously deemed beyond repair.  Or at least beyond repair in a way that would bring them back into service as work attire.  These shirts were the coolest he could buy at the charity shops (before we discovered I could make him bespoke cool shirts myself).  He wore them until the collars were so frayed along the folded edge that the interfacing peeked through.  Both had been downgraded to my stash of old garments to upcycle in future sewing projects.  

This is a "before" picture.  The collars are unfolded to display the worn-out strip down the middle along the fold.

With a new understanding of how the parts fit together--and that the collar itself was symmetrical--I realized I could rip out just one seam and flip the collar part over and then stitch it back up again.  Make the top the bottom--and hide the frayed edge underneath.  The bottom side of the collar wasn't frayed or worn at all.  It was like brand-new fabric, waiting under there patiently for its time in the sun.
I highlighted the seam I ripped out in red.  Then I flipped over the collar piece circled in yellow and re-stiched the red seam again.  
I am particularly pleased with this mend.  It delights me to see Matt wearing these shirts again.
Repaired and ready for work wear once again.

Comments

  1. That's very cool, and such a useful skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth! What an excellent save! Did you know this is called "turning the collar"? It was a common way people used to care for their clothes and make them last and last and last. They would turn the collars and cuffs to refresh shirts, dresses, coats, etc. I have even read of coats that were taken apart and sewn together again with the unfaded side out! I came across these practices as I read vintage novels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! AWESOME. That's great. You know....now that you mention it...I'm quite certain I've come across "turning up cuffs" and the like in my reading...but never put together what exactly they were talking about, I guess. I am all the more tickled by this sewing save now!! Hooray for being inadvertanly old-school! :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's an old practice! You are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is a skill i definitely do not have! Nice to learn! Love giving a second life to clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I get such joy from mending old clothes and making them "new" again!

      Delete
  5. You’re a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well! I dunno about that! But, I have my moments. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, my grandmother used to do that! I have never tried it; maybe I should! I turn my husband's shirts into Frisian Fishermen shirts, similar to this one. I just take the frayed collar out and sew the seam shut again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I shall remember your Frisian Fisherman shirts when Matt wears out the OTHER side of the collar. ...which he inevitably will! Danke, Eva!

      Delete
    2. Yes, then you need to turn them into "Fischerhemden"! You are very welcome :).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts