Thankful is Too Small a Word

I am so thankful for my big ol' extended family on my mom's side.  

Cards, dominoes, and conversation abound!

I am thankful we sing (with harmony!).

The big sing-a-long the first night of reunion.  Photo credit to my sister Sarah.

I am thankful we are such good cooks.

Reid taking a turn staffing the grill.  Photo credit to my cousin Ellen.

I am thankful we play games, games, and more games.

Mostly we're a cards and dominoes group, but my uncle Darrell brought Kubb and Reid taught Matt... who became a Kubb evangelist and taught anyone who was even remotely interested.  It was new to pretty much everyone at reunion, but was an immediate hit overall.  Matt is currently trying to decide if he wants to make a set or just buy one and customize it.  He's hooked, big time.

I am thankful that Grandma Nina is still able and willing to sit in the river and drink gin and tonics in her 90s.

That's Grandma Nina in the pink top and fabulous white hat.  She is an inspiration to me in an untold number of ways.

I am thankful we have a family songbook for sing-a-longs around the campfire.

This camp song favorite is one I only know from family reunions, where I can remember singing it in the round my whole life,  it feels like.   

I am thankful we're connected to the land, both as Montanans and as a family grounded in agriculture.

May the cards never end!

I am thankful we make art, sew, woodwork, take photographs, and create.

Singing and playing and enjoying some classic campfire relaxation.  Photo credit to my second cousin Megan.

I'm glad we're a bunch of huggers.  Hugs for days.  Long hugs.  Deep hugs.

Ellen did my hair all pretty!  She said that in addition to hugs she'd really missed the chance to play with people's hair during the physically distant era.  I was more than game to let her have a go at my locks.  I played cards.  She braided and pinned.  It was awesome.

I am thankful we tell jokes and make each other laugh until we cry, until my face hurts from smiling.

Dominoes and smiles for miles!

I am thankful we know that many hands make light work.

Matt and I mixed up a big batch of Gin and Tonics for the river sitting crew.  This is fast becoming a new reunion tradition.  ;)

I am thankful we have family talents shows, Christmas pageants, and music recitals--by Zoom if need be!

One of the things I really look forward to about reunion:  The Talent Show.  Here my grandmother is showing off the unexpected hilarity of some trick clay statues she got on a trip to China with my grandpa decades ago.  We had many varieties of song, a monologue from Henry V, demonstrations of PT balancing exercises, a mountain lion call, and a cinnamon roll hug.

I am thankful we get along despite our differences in personality and lifestyles.

My sister brought five big bubble wands along and we had a great time playing with them on and off throughout the week.  It was sorta funny.  I'd be playing cards or sitting by the fire, or soaking in the creek and all of the sudden some bubbles would go drifting by...  The big group session down by the creek was the best though.  I think the photo credit on this one goes to Sarah, too.  Maybe Matt.  It was a phone-and-photograph-sharing-jamboree.  Its hard to keep track.

I am thankful we act and perform and entertain.

We had three ukuleles and two guitars to help keep the sing-a-long going,  We had one each night, but the first night (pictured here) was the best one.  Photo credit to my second cousin Megan.

I am thankful we like to hike and run, cycle and swim, walk and dance.

This small group broke off from the rest for a five-mile hike near Macdonald Pass on part of the Continental Divide Trail.  Forgive my backpack putting its finger in front of the lens there...

I am thankful we appreciate the beauty and grandeur of nature.

There were lots of flowers along the trail.

I am thankful we tell (and re-tell) family stories.

We had two big "river sitting" sessions.  It was perfect.  Hot sun, cold water.  And lots of good story telling.  

I am thankful we share in each other's big moments (and little moments).

This photo, at my cousin Jacob's wedding, is from the day before the reunion started.  The reunion just sorta piggy-backed on the wedding since so many of us were gathered in the same general area already anyways.  For me it was a superbly enjoyable and convenient double header of fun.  Photo credit to Matt.

I am thankful we're well traveled--in Montana, in the USA, and around the world.

Playing Whist with my mom, my grandma, and my sister, Sarah.  Whist is something I only play at big family gatherings.  Photo credit to Matt.

I am thankful for the willingness to learn, to adapt, and to grow as we journey together as the best family we can be.

More bubble fun.  Get this:  This photo was taken on a camera that still takes actual film!  How retro!  It has since been digitized for my sharing pleasure.  Photo credit to Abby's friend Cam.

I am beyond thankful that we have a consistent schedule of family reunions so we can revel in all of the above and keep these bonds strong from one generation to the next to the next!  This side of my family has been gathering like this since the 1960s!  Here's hoping we're still doing it in 2060!

Family Reunion 2021 - Sunshine Camp - Elliston, MT

Comments

  1. Hi Beth,
    That's so AWESOME that you and your family can get together like that...it looks like so much fun...and your hair looks great like that...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I kept calling my hair-do a "Heidi." Ellen and her mom (my aunt who is from Sweden) had a different name for it, something like "Margareta," but that's not quite right.

    My goodness did we all have a great time. It is awesome. I am SO grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you have a fun family!! Love the river sitting with gin and tonics, especially, although the singing is pretty special too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a Google Form in the planning phase and there were questions about what sort of activities we'd like to do. Gin-and-Tonic-River-Sitting was absolutely listed there specifically, along with a day hike, yard games, talent show, etc. It cracked me up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts