Chocolate Chip Awesome...I mean Cookies

I am sure there are people out there who do not like chocolate chip cookies.  I am also sure they must be crazy.  Okay, I'm kidding about the last part.  In all seriousness though I am not able to bring to mind a single person who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies.  I probably have a particular fondness for them because my dad has been a big fan for a long as I can remember.  He made THE BEST chocolate chip cookies.  I can fondly remember helping him bake them.  He used the ever-famous orange Betty Crocker's Cookbook recipe.  As I remember things, he entered his Dad's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies in the county fair three times.  The first year he got third, the second year he got second and the third year he got the blue ribbon.  I guess after that he didn't feel the need to enter anymore.  Or, at least that is how I remember it.



These are NOT Betty Crocker's cookies, but I have found them to be just as satisfying.   This recipe is from The Joy of Vegan Baking.  My dad would never get on board with semisweet chips.  He is milk chocolate all the way. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer powder
6 tablespoons Water
1 cup Earth Balance, softened
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
3/4 cup Brown sugar, firmly packed 
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract2 1/4 cups All purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 and 1/2 cups Semi sweet chocolate chips
Mix "egg" powder and water in blender until thick and frothy.  Mix Earth Balance, sugars, and vanilla.  Combine flour, soda, and salt.  Mix wets and drys together.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop by the spoonful onto a baking sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Let stand about 2 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack to cool.

4/7/2011 Note:  Apparently there are some minor discrepancies in memory on the cookies-at-the-fair story.  I talked to one of my sisters and my dad and we all remember it differently.  Hmmmm....memory is a funny thing.  Oh well, chocolate chip cookies are awesome no matter what.  Oh, and apparently my dad used semisweet chips for years (Sarah remember it), but later decided it was milk chocolate all the way (probably about the time I got to be baker's assistant, according to my dad).

Comments

  1. hey, those look great! I had a vegetarian chili for supper (organic and marked way down). Added some noodles to it and have made 4 meals off it. Hubby wouldn't touch it. Funny thing is, it tastes exactly like ordinary chili to me! Maybe your dad would like your vegan cookies if he tried them often enough...I'm being to think all our tastes are just habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. : )

    I am quite certain that our tastes are just habits. My mom always put peanut butter on both side of the PB & J and it just isn't as good when someone makes me one not like that. I am sure it is just a habit. I am a vegetarian that formerly didn't eat beans or really, even vegetables. Through a process of experimentation over the years that has changed quite drastically! However, I am still "training" my tastebuds to this day. For example, I just ate broccoli with enjoyment for the first time in my entire life just last week. I tried it roasted. It was good.

    Related, I read a book once (Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think) where they did this experiment where they showed people two strawberry yogurt containers and said they were going to blindfold them and ask them to taste each strawberry yogurt and talk about which was better. They were blindfolded and sampled each container. Each person went on and on and on about how this-one-is-better, it-has-more-of-a-strawberry-flavor, oh-you-can-really-taste-that-strawberry-its-so-delicious. However the yogurt cups contained only plain yogurt with a squirt of chocolate syrup. There was absolutely NO strawberry flavor at all. The participants basically didn't believe the researchers when they were told this after the fact. They were all CERTAIN they had tasted strawberry. They couldn't accept that the power of suggestion had tricked them so strongly. That blew my mind as far as my likes and dislikes go. So, to a strong degree it may be all in our heads.

    That book is a totally worthwhile read by the way if you are looking for some fascinating nonfiction.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts