Playing For Change


I don't watch movies all that often.  I don't know why.  I just never think of it as something to do.  So it is unlikely I would ever offer movie suggestions to others, but that is exactly what I am about to do.

I heard about this documentary Playing for Change: Peace Through Music on one of the blogs I read.  (I forget which one now)  The concept of the same song collaberated on by people around the world was truly fascinating to me.  All the videos I could find on youtube were super amazing.  So, I placed an order for it through interlibrary loan. 

It did not disappoint.  It was an outstanding work.   Both the music and the message of peace and healing through music were utterly amazing.  I was blown away. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many talented musicians there are...some playing on the street corners.  It was a wonderful blend of styles and instruments and cultures.  Music really unites us all.

When I was in Europe  in 2002 I was overwhelmed by the street performers.  They were EVERYWHERE!  They seem to be centralized around major urban areas and Montana doesn't really have those (I live in the largest city in Montana and we are just at 100,000 people).  I had no real experience with street musicians up until that point.  I remember a few quite vividly because they were so outstanding: an 8-10 year old boy playing Beatles tunes on a cello larger than he was at a metro station in Paris, and entire family of 6 playing different instruments (accordion, singing, flute, guitar, tambourine) with the littlest one collecting money from people at a cafe in Belgium, two young German boys singing folk music along with their guitars. 


So, if you can I would highly recommend giving this documentary a watch.

Comments

  1. Thanks for Sharing I enjoyed this very much ...will have to find the documentary when time allows :)
    ~~HUGS~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so glad you enjoyed it too! The whole thing is truly outstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts