Curried Rice Casserole


This dish has quickly become one of my all around dinnertime favorites.  Every time I've eaten it I've been quite impressed with how tasty it is. Its readily adaptable to seasonal vegetables or what you've got hanging out in the fridge waiting to be used up which is always a plus in my book.  I also had been looking to bump up my casserole repertoire as I feel it has been lacking.  I really appreciate the simplicity of casseroles.  If you add beans its a whole meal.  Otherwise it makes a smashing side dish.
Curried Rice Casserole
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper
1-2 cups mixed vegetables and/or cooked beans
           (peas, corn, zucchini, eggplant, chickpeas, etc.) 

1 C brown rice, uncooked
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
           (fire roasted tomatoes are a pretty amazing addition)

3 1/2 cups water
2 t curry powder
1/2 t salt

Saute onion and pepper and other vegetables if they require it in a bit of oil.  For peas and corn and other quick cooking veg this step is unnecessary as they will get enough time in the oven to cook them.
If using a cast iron add in all remaining ingredients to the pan.  Otherwise just combine all ingredients in a glass baking dish. 
Bake for 60 to 75 minutes at 375 degrees F. until the rice and veg are all tender.

Comments

Popular Posts