Me-Made-May22 in Review

The Smile Banner.

Once again my ambition for Me-Made-May was to engage with sewing projects rather than focus on dressing exclusively from the me-made parts of my wardrobe.  It was a very enjoyable endeavor.  I was already brimming with sewing inspiration and MMM nurtured that feeling.  I exceeded both my proposed quotas for new and mending projects.

The Space Shirt

The Jam Jar Bunting.

Boxers for Matt.  I liked the pink elephant logo on one of the scrap shirts I was upcycling.  I was pleased to be able to cut the shirt in a way that preserved the pink elephant on the boxers.
New Projects:

  • I made two more "cool shirts" for Matt.  These would be shirts #2 and #3, respectively.  The Tie-Dye Shirt (#1) that I made in April was pictured in the initial MMM22 post.  
    • The Space Shirt (#2) was created using material from a very 80's twin bed sheet that I got from my mom (though I think it was from my Grandma before that).  It was clearly a bottom sheet that had the elastic cut off.  It has a space theme and it was really fun to cut out the pattern pieces just-so capturing the different planets, comets, and galaxies.  Matt picked large, pearly white buttons because they looked like moons.  Or stars.  It was my first time using a shank button.  I had to look up a how-to online.
    • Wanting to up the difficulty level just a tiny bit with each iteration of The Shirt I decided to try a paper-pieced lightning bolt on the pocket of the Tulip Bolt Shirt (#3) .  This was my first time paper piecing.  I used this template and just eyeballed it down to the size of the pocket piece.  Hence, it is a little wonky.  A bit wonkier than perhaps I'd hoped, but close enough.  I also had to coordinate fabrics since I didn't have quite enough of the groovy tulip one.  I'm so glad that fabric finally has a home though.  I've been sitting on it for a long time.  I thought it had a vaguely Grateful Dead roses vibe.  The only flaw is that we could only find five buttons in my button jar that went with the shirt instead of the called for six buttons.  I thought that would be plenty, but turns out, maybe not.  I'm concerned about gapping between the buttons.  Matt is concerned by how much of his chest hair is visible at the neck.  I might have to adjust things to get to perfection.  He wore it to my cousin's engagement party last weekend and it was exceedingly gratifying how many people complimented him on it though.
  • I finally made a couple of "prayer flag" style buntings.  This is a project that's simmered on the back burner of my mind for years and I made three this month--all slightly different.  
    • I made one with square panels out of an old tie-dye remnant.  I then painted a little Grateful Dead lightning bolt on every other panel.  The fabric paint I had was quite old so it isn't perfect, but I can see some real potential.  I'd like to try again----with some smoother, fresher paint--using a stencil of the bolt.  I think it would make for a more crisp image.
    • I then made a tiny (unpainted) prayer flags for the Jam Jar out of a different remnant of tie-dye from my scrap basket.  The seed for this idea was originally planted by Sandra Ann in her comment to my post on the Jam Jar's inaugural year.  They are pretty freaking adorable, if you ask me.  Matt likes them, too.  I think they'd look really awesome strung across the rear window, but I knew Matt would never go for that visual obstruction, no matter how cute.  ...and I'm more than happy to keep my driver happy.  Across the rear door it is!
    • I made a third set with rectangular flag panels and then went at it with the fabric paint again.  I didn't get around to buying new paint, but I did have stencils this time.  It reads, "smile, SMILE, smile."  I made it for Josh for his birthday after seeing it in a dream the week preceding it.  In the dream it was flapping in the breeze in some trees sorta like when we went backpacking together recentlyTechnically I finished this project early on June 1st--the painting bit--but the sewing was all done on May 31 so I'm sneaking it in here.
  • I made two new pairs of upcycled t-shirt boxers for Matt while having a sewing date with Kelly (who was working on a dress).

Farewell hugs after a fantastic overnight stay with friends for the Cornell 77 re-creation concert at The Elm.  Don't mind that May snow in the background.  Hahaha.
The Tulip Bolt Shirt, in process.  I think that fabric is just gorgeous. 

Ginger helping me with the mending.
Mending Projects:

  • I fixed four blown crotch seams--one in my leggings, one in Matt's pants, and two in some of Brian's pants.  I love these sort of repairs.  The-hole-is-on-the-seam.  That's where it's at for mending clothes, I think.  
  • I reattached a torn skirt pocket.  I'd gotten a little overzealous with a patch pocket and it ripped off the body of the skirt near the top.  It just took a couple of stitches and it was back in business.
  • I made a nearly identical top-of-the-pocket repair on one of Matt's favorite shirts.  He'd ripped all the way through the shirt though so I had to add an interior patch to hold it all together.
  • I fixed two blown seams in one of my shirts.  I'm not convinced the mends will last though.  I think this shirt has just reached the end of the line.  The armpit area is particularly vulnerable and the fabric is prone to runs that are problematic for me from a mending point of view.
  • I put a button on the neck closure of a dress for Steph.  We had an impromptu clothes swap on Monday and Mindy brought the dress specifically for Steph--but it had lost the closure button.  I showed Mindy the "new" way I've learned to sew buttons and got it ready for wear again.  By its new owner!  
Matt, in his element, officiating backyard Kubb matches in his new shirt.  This was at my cousin's recent engagement party.
Smile, smile, smile!

Comments

  1. Hi Beth,
    ...what an amazing amount of "makings"...I don't know which is my fave...I do love the Planet shirt...and that tulip fabric is gorgeous...
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. I think the Space Shirt is my fav! ;)

      Delete
  2. What a great accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! It was a lot of satisfying fun!

      Delete
  3. Aw Beth this has made me smile! I’ve been away from my blog since January. My mental health just nose dived and I couldn’t face posting on the blog and life got even more challenging with extra medical conditions in the family. I’m so glad to be catching up with you today. Your corner of the world is such a cheery and purposeful place to visit, San ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been wondering about you not long ago...popped over and saw you'd been quiet. That's often just the thing when one's headspace isn't feeling topnotch. The internet can be a bit...much. I'm glad you came by though and found a little cheer in my corner of the web. My very best thoughts and wishes for you and your fam. I'm sorry to hear it has been a rough go this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts