Good-n-Seedy Crackers

So, this recipe is a bit of cheat, but oh well.  A few years ago I started making my own crackers.  I always made these flax seed crackers.  They are quite good, but then one day I didn't have enough flax seed.  So I improvised.

And you know what?  I like them even better than the straight flax ones.  So it is almost an identical recipe as the one I've already posted....just with different seeds.  I've found it to be the best blend.  Too many sunflower seeds and it doesn't roll thin enough without tearing.  Too many sesame seeds and it starts to taste a tad bitter.  Too many flax seeds and they just get stuck in my teeth.
So, with that I bring you the Good-n-Seedy crackers.


Good-n-Seedy Crackers
1/4 Cup flax seed
1/4 Cup sesame seed
1/4 Cup sunflower seed
1/4 Cup ground flax meal
3 Cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 teaspoons shortening (which is 1/8 C + 2 t)
1 Cup soymilk
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Combine seeds, flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Cut in shortening with a fork.  Slowly add milk.  Mix and knead together until the dough forms a ball.  Chill dough for 10 - 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into 8 parts.  Roll each out very thinly and into a rectangular shape if possible.  Cut into squares. 

I am not able to roll them out thin enough as one large piece so I always give each cracker an addition roll over with the rolling pin for a really crisp cracker.   If you have more upper body strength than I this step might not be needed.

Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle on coarse salt.

Transfer to a baking stone or lightly oiled cookie sheet.  Bake 20 minutes.

Comments

  1. Thank you! This looks like a good recipe; i've copied it to give it a go. This is serendipitous as i've been wanting to try a cracker recipe for some time!
    I've been reading your blog for a little while now. Even though i'm old enough to be your Mother, i think you do a great job! I love your writing and it's an obvious love you have for Matt; so wonderful to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and your kind words! I hope you enjoy the crackers. They are my favorite and they are so simple to make. I hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts