Climbing the Pillar

"This rock I ascended and from it's top had a most extensive view in every direction....after Satisfying my Self Sufficiently in this delightful prospect of the extensive Country around, and the emence herds of Buffalow, Elk, and wolves in which it abounded, I decended and proceeded on...." --William Clark - July 25, 1806

Pompey's Pillar (with the visitor's center for scale)

The signature of William Clark along with the date of his visit carved into the sandstone.


Paddling up river in a replica dug out canoe.
Matt checking out a rather giant tree stump...and pretending to fall into it.
Its kind of cool to stand on top of the rock and look about at the countryside as so many people over so many lifetimes have done.  I try to imagine what it must have looked like before the roads and fields.  I try to imagine all the wildlife.  And I enjoy the open space, the river, the life all around me in this very moment.  History is this moment, too.

Comments

Popular Posts