Whoopie! (Pie, that is)

Have you ever had a Whoopie Pie?



If not...you SHOULD!

I made these somewhat recently and have been meaning to post about them.  I don't often make desserts, but these were really calling for me to try them.  I had been reading a lot about the Amish (famous for Whoppie Pies) and taking pure taste enjoyment in food (i.e. not always worrying if something is "good" for me or not.).  Then I saw there was a Whoopie Pie controversy (one couldn't make this stuff up) between Pennsylvania and Maine and it sealed the deal.  The universe was telling me to make Whoppie Pies.

So, I did.  They were easy!  And super tasty!  The cookies are so soft they are almost like cake and the fact that it is a sandwich cookie tickles me for some reason.  I enjoy their Amish heritage as well.



Here is the recipe:

Whoopie Pies - Makes 2 dozen sandwiches
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
2 cups sour milk (milk with vinegar added)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sift together flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer, sour milk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Slowly add dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
2. Using a tablespoon, place cookies onto lined baking pans, twelve per pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
3. Spread 2 tablespoons of frosting onto each of twenty-four of cookies. Sandwich together with remaining twenty-four cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

 
The frosting I made was not great so I am not posting the recipe.  Or rather, it tasted great but never got thick and creamy like it should.  It remained too runny.  It was the one that came with the recipe and involved corn syrup and regular sugar, but no powdered sugar!  I think this was the problem...maybe it was a typo.  In any case, Matt helped recover it with powdered sugar and peanut butter so that it was at least spreadable (as opposed to pourable).  In the end it was fat and sugar whipped up between two chocolate cookies so it was just keen by me despite any remaining dripping.  In the future I am just going to make me standard butter-cream frosting for the filling.

Comments

  1. You're too cute in that top picture! Almost like you know a secret that you're not quite willing to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I actually thought it was a good photo of myself as well. That doesn't always happen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sarah! You look happy ... and I'm glad you shared the whoopie pie "secret" because I really, really want to make some now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts