Oofda Tacos

I’d never heard of oofda tacos before I met Matt's family.
From 2006 through 2009 we (Matt, his brother, Adam, and I) used to go to a fantastic music festival in Minnesota called The 10,000 Lakes Festival (10KLF).  It was amazing—far and away the best festival that I have ever attended.  Music, dancing, swimming, camping, making new friends, walking in the woods all under the wide, open blue sky for an unbeatable good price.  Oofda tacos were one of the most popular food items sold at 10KLF from the row of food vendors. I’d never heard of them and thought the name pretty silly and amusing.   Matt and Adam, however, were well aware of oofda tacos long before that.
For the boys they are an old favorite family recipe!   Like the music festival Matt’s mom is also from Minnesota.    So, I guess they must be a Minnesota thing (or really a Scandinavian thing, but as far as I can tell Minnesota is just steeped in Scandinavian influence).   However, I’ve also seen the same thing sold as an Indian Taco, too, so who really knows.  Whatever you call them they are delicious.
Matt helped Sharon fry up the latest batch while Adam was at home for Christmas.   They’re a kind of special occasion sort of dinner and Adam’s being home and Christmas both more than qualify.
It’s amazingly yummy and surprisingly simple--taco fixings served on a warm piece of fried bread instead of the more usual corn or flour tortilla.  Sharon just uses the plain white bread recipe from her trusty ol’ red Betty Crocker cookbook for the fry bread.
I ate four.   Two absolutely plain.  That’s just how good they are.   
But, really, I mean its fried bread so it’s not all that surprising, I suppose.  Yum.

Comments

  1. What a great idea. We have a lot of fry bread here~usually we eat it with honey butter. I am inspired to make oofda tacos!
    I am thinking I am adding a new recipe to the files even BEFORE I try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, next time I will have to try fry bread your way! I've never really eaten a sweet one. I thought about adding powdered sugar (per the suggestion of Matt and his family), but they're so good plain that I've never gotten around to it. But, I can only imagine that its wonderful.

      I hope you enjoy the heck out of the oofda tacos, but, its hard for me to imagine anyone NOT liking them!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like something off of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that looks good. My stepmum is from Minnesota. I'll give her a quick test and ring her up and ask for her oofda tacos recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be QUITE curious to hear the results! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks absolutely delicious! Can you post a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I am at the in-laws I will copy down the bread recipe for posting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts