Party Snack Mix (a.k.a. Chex Mix)

This is a rip-off of that old party snack classic: Chex Mix.   Gosh, I like Che Mix!  Bowls of those salt, crunchy treats are something I look forward to every year during those magical food weeks between Thanksgiving and the New Year.  When I was growing up you couldn't just go buy a bag of Chex Mix at the store year-round like you can now.  It was always homemade and only made an appearance for special occasions--like the holidays!  As it should be, if you ask me.

But, there are a couple things I don’t love about the traditional Chex Mix recipe
One, it uses Worcestershire Sauce which contains fish and I don’t eat fish.
Two, it traditionally called for dairy in the form of butter and I don’t eat dairy either--though I notice that Chex has added "or margarine," to the recipe these days.
Three, Chex cereal is made with genetically modified corn, which I prefer to avoid.

But, a few tweaks here and there and voila!  An equally delicious, but more natural and vegan version of this tasty treat was born!
 Party Snack Mix


9 C chex-type cereal  (Nature's Path brand has a couple of good ones)
1 C peanuts
1 C small pretzels (Newman’s Own brand is good)
6 T Earth Balance buttery sticks or other non-dairy margarine
4 T soy sauce (or tamari)
1 ½ t salt
1 t garlic powder

Heat oven to 250 degrees F. 
Toss dry ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside. 
Melt butter in a saucepan.
Add salt, soy sauce, and garlic powder to melted butter. 
Gradually pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients, tossing to ensure the pieces are evenly coated.
Bake one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Enjoy in all their crunchy, salty, oily glory.

Comments

  1. Both mushroom ketchup (which you can buy or make) and pontac sauce (google recipe, made from elderberries) are both excellent vegan alternatives to worcestershire sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of either of these things!! Cool. Thanks for the ideas. I will have to look into them. Yay for learning new things!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts