Zippy Corn Gravy

Inspired once again by his meal at Watercourse Foods back in late September Matt made another batch of country fried seitan.  He served it with mashed potatoes covered in a tasty, and just a little fiery, corn gravy and--because I insisted on it--a great big pile of corn on the side.
See, I wanted corn.  He wanted corn gravy.  So, we had both.
Zippy Corn Gravy

1 onion, chopped
2-4 spicy peppers, chopped  (jalapenos, cayenne, etc to your level of spice)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups corn
1/4 C soymilk
1/4 t salt
1 t dried sage
1 T lemon juice
1 C veg stock
1 T cornstarch
olive oil

Over medium-high saute peppers and onions in the oil until the onions become translucent.  
Add corn, garlic, and sage and cook until the corn starts to brown, about five minutes or so.
Meanwhile, mix the vegetable stock and the cornstarch together and set aside to allow it to thicken.
Add the milk, stock, and salt and stir well as it thickens, about five minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add lemon juice.
Puree using an immersion blender (or very carefully in a standard blender).
Serve.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It sure was. But, I'm a big fan of pretty much anything with corn in it!

      Delete
  2. That looks so darn good. I wouldn't even need the main course, I think I could fill up on potatoes with that gravy, and your mountain of corn!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts