DIY Coloring Book (from photos!)

I like to draw and color.  I have white tablets for doodling and coloring books for adults with wild, challenging designs.  I was content with them until I saw an advertisement on a cereal box saying they had a website that could transform your photographs into coloring pages.  But, it cost me money.  This set me off on a quest.  See, I wasn't willing to pay anything or download any software off the internet in order to do this.  But, I thought it would be really, really fun to color my own pictures.  To make my own coloring book. (And I was right, too!)
Matt, Josh, and Jeramy playing slide whistles which the boys had bought on the occasion of Matt's birthday many years back now.
In the end I found a website called befunky.com which suited the bill.  For free they allow you to upload photographs from your computer or the web and alter them with a number of effects.  To create coloring pages I use the Sketcher option found under the Artsy tab on the left side of the screen.  There are options to tinker with the amount of detail in the sketch which I play with until the images comes out like I'd like.   I then save them to my computer and print.  And its all free and requires no registration or anything.  I like that.
Here is an uncolored one for you to see:  Matt and his onions.
In this way I've created a very special coloring book for myself with photos from road trips with Matt, family barbeques, birthday parties, mountain adventures, concerts, and so on.  They are really fun to color.  So much so that I hardly use my coloring books for adults any more.

If you like to color, or have kids that do, I highly recommend this DIY coloring book idea.  It fun to make and even more fun to color.

Oh, and I guess I could add that befunky has all sorts of other editing features like pointillism, fish eye, changing the colors,  red-eye removal, cropping, etc.  Oh, and making people look like cartoons.  

Comments

  1. Thanks for that link. I am going to send that to my daughter. My Kodak program that came with my camera and I use to download photos from the camera to computer has the same options if anyone uses a Kodak camera. I have never printed a picture to color.

    The cartoon mode saves photos that are horrible. I used the cartoon mode for pictures I took at a company picnic when the actual photo was unflattering to the subject. Surprisingly, the cartoon mode photos were extremely popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coloring books for adults and have both Michelangelo, and John James Audubon. This is a great idea. And I bet it would be great to bind them for a one of a kind scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've colored and framed them and given them as gifts. A scrapbook would be a great gift, too! I've never seen either of the coloring books you mention. I bet they'd be really fun though!

      Delete
  3. This is an AWESOME idea! LOVE IT! I've begun an Art Journal this year - have never done one before and am enjoying it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying your art journal thoroughly, too!

      Delete
  4. hilarious! I don't know why I thought coloring was only for kids. I've always loved it but never really indulged as an adult :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I somehow managed to never outgrow it, I guess. Maybe you should make yourself a coloring page and give it a whirl!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. I value the advice and friendship that you share with me!

Popular Posts